Sunday, February 14, 2010

School stuff.

I found out right before our last week that Sydney's teacher was going to be gone for most of that week so they had a going away party for her on Monday. I wasn't able to go with because I had a few things to do that day. We sent treats and drinks and they made her a wonderful card.

On Lily and Aidan last day we all hung out for the last few minutes. They sent them home with wonderful little books they had filled out about what the kids like about them.



Claire loves hanging out at school with her big sister.



We made Mrs. S a little colage of the kids when they were in her class and decorated a frame with flowers and chipboard letters. It said "My First Teacher". This was the picture.


I'm still sad that my kids aren't in this preschool anymore. It's hard for me to imagine Claire not having Mrs. S too.
OK... I'm super sad they aren't in their old school anymore... period! I loved all of the teachers my kids had and I loved the staff. I was so excited for Lily to have all of Sydney's old teachers. I always had such a sense of peace knowing that they would always place Sydney with a teacher that would work well with her. Hopefully that will be the case here someday.

The new school is OK. Everyone seems really nice although, I haven't really felt welcomed. Not that they have done anything to make me feel UN-welcomed... we just never really felt greeted. We started school two weeks into the second half of the school year so of coarse everyone was already settled into their routines. There had been a mix up at the office and they didn't even realize Sydney was coming to that school... let a lone starting that day. So her teacher didn't have anything ready for her. I don't think they encourage as much family involvement "during school hours"... but it might be a little to soon to make that judgement.

Sydney has struggled a bit with homework at first. She got much more then at her old school and they have homework from at least 3 subjects a night. But she is used to the change now and she is doing well. She was really excited about the move at first but is getting a little homesick now. She really misses her friends and her teacher.

The preschool was much more on the ball and they were completely ready for Lily and Aidan. They all seem very nice. Communication is a little low and they only check your bag for notes if they know you are sending one... so you might as well just call :). I miss getting our daily slip telling me what the kids did that day and I really miss our weekly summary. I was super sad to find out that they don't like parents to come and help in the class room and I'm pretty sure big family parties don't happen... much... if at all. But from the few times I've been there and talking to the teachers I can tell that it is a good preschool. Lily was a little quite and grouchy at first but she is slowly adjusting. I think they miss all of the old songs and routines because I find them singing them a lot and playing out stuff like "show and share" here at home. Aidan likes preschool but really doesn't understand. At first he kept asking when his bus would come to take him to his "S's Class". The bus finally did start taking him to school and after that he will just tell people that his "S" is lost. This is also how he refers to most everything back in Mesa. Our old house is lost, our church is lost he refers to our neighbor and any of his friends as being lost too. It seems a lot sadder then it is though :). I think it's just the only way he understands what has happened.
We are still adjusting and we hope to feel a little more at home with our new school soon.
I guess the only thing that I'm really disappointed in is the buses. But I'll save that for another post!

1 comment:

  1. okay, this post made me really sad. :( i am just being hormonal but...

    ReplyDelete