Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Feeling Neglected

Such a sad face. My poor little Sydney.

Sydney was really really upset a few nights ago. She crawled into daddy's lap sobbing. She told him that she wished she was a baby. We tried to console her as she uncontrollably sobbed for hours. We told her all of the fun things about being older and stuff she couldn't do as a baby, but none of that seemed to matter to her. Out of the conversation with her our conclusion is that she is feeling neglected. Claire gets held all the time and fed all the time and we play with her all day long. Sydney has to play outside and in her room all by herself "ALL THE TIME" (her words). Of coarse this is pretty true. Yes we all play together and most day's that Robbie is home he plays a board game with her and Lily while I finish dinner. Lily goes to school too, but only for 2-1/2 hours, so really Sydney is the only one gone all day while everyone else gets to "hang out" (her words too) together at home. We decided she probably misses me the most. I've had a baby attached to me almost constantly since she was 2. So I'm going to try and do more things with just her, even leaving Claire behind.
It's funny that the day of her melt down she had asked to look at pictures of herself as a baby and toddler. She looked at them ALL day long. She has slowly come back to herself. She looked at pictures most of the next day too (It's funny that my six year old seems to reminisce the same way an adult might). I found her shoved into her little baby doll crib with a paci in her mouth at one point. And while she is still asking if she can be a baby I think she will let it rest soon.
Poor girl. This is just another example of how, while she usually under reacts to normal situations, she OVER reacts to things that most children would just let go of in a few hours... or even minutes. I just hope this baby thing isn't going to be one of her new obsession. Her most recent and still a bit current one being her hypochondria.

3 comments:

  1. Ohh sweet girl!
    Alli feels the same (except with fewer siblings). Big kids just get so many responsibilities, and not enough one on one parent time.
    Growing up is rough.
    She'll make it through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Syd. Eliana went through the same thing right after I found out I was pregnant this time. It only lasted a few days, but she started by saying she wanted to go back into my tummy. Then I told her all the things that she can do that a baby can't do (help me cook, ride a tricycle, chew gum, get her toenails painted, etc.) I think that helped. :) I think some Mommy-Sydney time is a good idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I experienced that with my youngest child Ana. Who wanted to nurse still and was about 6 or 7 years old. She still likes to suck on pacifiers and drink baby bottles once in a blue moon. I found the more one-on-one time I spent with her the less she felt the need to pretend to be a baby..Hope Sidney feels better.

    ReplyDelete