Wednesday, August 12, 2009

New, Old and now New again!

Claire really needed a new car seat. Even though she isn't that huge it seemed like she was outgrowing her old one. Well... I had traded our other car seat for use of the baby one and Aidan isn't ready for a booster yet... so I decided to buy a used one. I've been watching on Craigslist for the right one (you have to be careful with car seats). Finally I found an older couple who had used the car seat for a visiting grandchild. On the post they had all the serial numbers, expiration date, consumer reports, etc. etc.... I'm lucky if I remember what brand name my car seats are. So I checked them and the car seat out and it was a go.
Claire's new car seat.
An old seat that wasn't needed anymore for 20 bucks. (The crumbs are from my kids)
I went to Joann's and rummaged through the remnants bin (this project was screaming thrifty). I found some cute fabric for the middle and plush fabric for the outside. White would not have been my first... or second... or last pick, but that was what was in the bin! Lol. Then I proceeded to take it apart piece by piece put fabric over the old and then put it back together. Wow... I'm never doing that again. Not with this type of car seat. Maybe if I made the pattern with my own cushion it would have worked better. My poor cheap little machine just couldn't handle all that work. I messed up on quite a few things (not a project I'm very proud of). It took me a few extra hours then I though it would. When I first started it I thought ... I should have just made a cover to go over. Now that it is done I'm glad I did it this way.
So this is what you get for twenty three dollars, two broken needles, and a few hours of neglected house and children.
I think it turned out cute. Even if it's not quite perfect (huge understatement!).

Claire's happy and safe and that's all that matters!



5 comments:

  1. It is adorable, especially with the white. It would not be my first choice either, but I love the print, so it is GREAT! Good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That turned out really cute! (nobody will look close and it probably istn't as bad as you think!) I have seen that fabric and love it, but my kids would have that disgusting in about .02 seconds;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! You're so crafty and thrifty- both very handy things to be when you're a mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg meg, you constantly blow me away with your craftiness! I would have stuck it out with the old ugly car seat, but I'm so glad you're craftier than me! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so awesome and crafty! I love that!

    ReplyDelete